Monday, October 16, 2017

Vacation Learning: Summer road trip 2017B (returning from the south) #16


Our last stop during our trip was Lincoln's Tomb at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield.  Through all of our stops, we learned a great deal about him. His life was definitely not an easy one. 

To be honest, I used to be a huge Lincoln fan. I admired him as the man who ended the horrors of slavery.  I read many of his quotes and speeches, and thought I knew much about him.  This trip opened my eyes to other sides of his story. In our journey, I searched for what would have made him understand the cruelty, and made him fearless in the fight against injustice.  I thought that perhaps he had African American role models, and he had seen, and felt their suffering.  While at the museum my curiosity escaped me.  I asked a historian if Lincoln had any Black friends. The historian told me no. Yes Lincoln "freed" the slaves.  But there is much more to know about him.  Thanks to the History channel, you can read more here

I am not trying to take away from Lincoln's accomplishments. He is a role model for his hard work, perseverance, and honesty.   But,  history is someone's version of a series of events. The truth will always be more complicated than that, and it is necessary to search for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!