Monday, February 27, 2017

Vacation Learning: Dominican Republic #1 Punta Cana

I can't believe it has been so long since we got back home from the Dominican Republic. I love it when the kids and I share memories by reading their journal entries. They are very good at capturing details with their drawings, and summarizing their experiences.   Above you can see both of them drew the same coconut tree from the last picture.  I am pretty sure it is the most photographed tree in Playa Blanca. 

Life at home has been rather busy.  I have become involved with our small town government.  I have been participating during village board meetings, and got a spot on the Community Relations Committee.
To clarify, I don't plan on becoming a politician, I am just a concerned citizen. After the presidential election, I discovered that it is not enough to just vote.  I deeply feel that we need to be active, and support one another. As a citizen I have a right to vote, and a responsibility to be informed and involved. 
Besides that, I was recently trained to tutor English as a Second language to immigrants in my area.  I am deeply toucedh by the amount of people that participated in the training who are willing to help as volunteers. I was also tutored by volunteers when I came to this country.  I was able to not only function in society, but to have the opportunity to receive a merit scholarship to go to college.  The volunteers helped me get the skills to open doors.  I hope to help my student open the doors to achieve her goals. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!