Thursday, April 28, 2016

Home Learning: Water #16

We moved our next exploration to our deck.  The kids and I read about water as a source of power, and wanted to give it a try. It was a double challenge as it required for them to be creative, and for me to let them create.  Let me tell you, it was very hard for me to not jump in and help them out. I gave them the basic materials: water, dowel, a few disks, paper clips, a bin, syringes, string, and water.

First I told them that they needed to create a wheel powered only by water. It also needed to pull the small paper clip attached to the string.  Right away they started to explore the materials. 

I asked them a lot of questions like: 
-Can water make it turn?
-What is that piece for?
-Can it pulled the weight?
-What problem are you facing? What can you try to fix it?
-Is that piece needed? What is it for?
This part was difficult, since I knew exactly how to build the water wheel.  I wanted them to make it on their own.

Here is a picture of Little Guy giving it a try.

Big Sister came up with this arrangement of materials.  It worked! 


After complaining that it kept on stopping, she came up with this other much faster arrangement. 

Here is another one of her designs. 

The two kids worked together to build more models. 

This was their last model. It also worked!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful exploration! Love what they came up with on their own!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!