Friday, February 19, 2016

Vacation Learning: Colombia #5 Bucaramanga

Our trip continued on to Bucaramanga.  

  The little town of Florida Blanca has a special place in my heart. I love the small town feel, and all its got to offer. Above is a picture of the residential complex where my aunt lives. I love the vegetation, and how safe it is for the kids to run around on their own. 

The town is well known in Colombia for its specialties.  You can eat ants, obleas, dulce de leche, bocadillos from guavas, arequipe, etc. I brought back a few pounds because of our visit =P

Above, the kids were enjoying the plaza's fountain, and the view of the church. 

We went to visit La mesa de los Santos.  It is about 45 minutes drive from Florida Blanca.  To get there, we rode on a cable car from one mountain to the other.

We crossed the Chicamocha Canyon.

We arrived at PANACHI The Chicamocha National Park.

The grounds are simply beautiful.  We found a amazing sculpture called la Santandereanidad.   
You can see the whole monument here
File:Parque Nacional del Chicamocha 2012 02.JPG 

The sculptures represents the Commoners' revolution. It has amazing views of the mountains and the canyon. The kids moved about the sculpture.  Little Guy decided to sit and color some of the animals.

On the way back, I had to take this picture to show the vertical drop at the beginning of the ride on the cable car.  It was a bit more than I was prepared for.

We stopped at a local stand to eat lunch.  The kids had corn and chicken soup.  I had an arepa de choclo (the ones made on the grill). I highly recommend them!

A few days later the kids wrote in their journal about their experience at PANACHI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!