Thursday, January 1, 2015

¡Feliz Año! Happy New Year!

 When I was younger, and just for fun, my relatives and I would each pick up a piece of luggage and run around the block at 12:00 am.  It was to represent our desire to travel in the new year.  15 years later in a different country, with much different (not so inviting) weather, I still practiced my favorite New Year's tradition.   
My dear husband knows about it, and I think he has turned into another believer.  He has done it a few times with me.  We even did it last year when we walked deep in the snow.
At exactly 12:00 am on January 1st. I took my luggage, my cooler (for road trips), our passports, and the kids' pictures, (I was not going to wake them up) and ran around our house because...

...in 2015 we will be visiting Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica and two of our neighboring states!


This tradition is not magical, but it does put you in a mind set in which you want to make traveling a priority for you and your family.  If it is important to all of you, you will find a way to do it.  For us, traveling is a way of learning, and connecting through experiences.  It is more important than a fancy car, expensive jewelry, designer clothes or fine furnishings.  I honestly would much rather go on a trip than buy a sofa for our living room! And, although we have not won the lottery, we have learned ways in which making a few monetary saving decisions allow us to literally go far.
The past few months have been crazy about planning.  Anything from banking airline mile awards, transferring vacation rights, finding hotel specials, and mostly figuring when the low traveling season will still give us good weather.  In the mist of it, I feel very fortunate to keep our kids at home.  It gives us the flexibility to take advantage of low tourist demands, and neat traveling deals to explore and experience wonderful places.  We might not be staying in 5 starts hotels, but I can assure you that we will try our best to climb a Mayan pyramid, get wet at Niagara falls, spot monkeys, look at volcanoes, and visit great museums together.  
Our travelings will be incorporated in our learning. I am planning a whole new way of studying North and Central America!  We are going to go see it! We will meet new people, learn new things, see new sights, practice our Spanish, and collect unforgettable memories. 
I look forward to sharing our adventures with you!
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!