Monday, July 21, 2014

Newbery books for little ones

We had a super busy day.  First the kids went to Mandarin class. One of their classmates and her mom joined us for lunch and playtime at the splash park (which was free and super fun!).  Later, we met our friends at the library and returned some materials.  The kids picked a few videos to watch at home while I cleaned the house.  It is Monday = cleaning day! Now they are hanging out with their dad.  
The picture above was taken right next to the library's entrance.  They have a rabbit sculpture.  My daughter told me it was little Georgie, one of the protagonists of the Rabbit Hill book I mentioned in yesterday's post (by Robert Lawson).  
Rabbit Hill is one of the 92 Newbery Award winners. According to the Association for Library Service to Children, each year the award is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.  The books are chosen from those published the previous year. 
As I mentioned before, I collect this books.  My collection started when I became a teacher in 2004.  Of the 92, I am missing only three which includes the most current one.  I am waiting for it to come out in paperback form.  The other two are the winners from 1928 and 1926.  I am looking for them.  Let me know if you have them!
I have read the majority of them; but not all.  I had completely forgotten about them.  The 89 books are stored in a plastic container at the bottom of the learning room's closet.  I was looking for something new, exciting, and fresh to read to the kids at night (our English time), and I remember about my special collection. Most of the books are not for little kids.  Themes really vary from self finding, coping with death, coming to age, to seeking spirituality.  Some of the books are simply fabulous, others have me wondering why they were chosen.  In any sense, I was looking for a book to read to my 4 and my 3 year olds. Here are a few that I selected:
2013: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
2004: The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo  (we already read this one in Spanish... and watched the movie too!)
1986: Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
1972: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (by far one of my favorites. I will read this one to my kids many times)
1947: Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey 
1945: Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson 
1930: Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field
1923: The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting

You can check all the winners here: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberywinners/medalwinners

When I showed them the books, the kids picked Rabbit Hill because of the picture of the bunny jumping on the cover.  I was very pleased with their selection. It was one of those books I never read before.  The story was just perfect for them.  Yes, the vocabulary was a little over their comfort zone, but they had my husband and I to explain any word they were curious about.  Most of the time just the story explain itself.  One of the characters, father rabbit, was a very sophisticated gentleman (gentlebunny). The kids also saw the beautiful pictures throughout the book.  I can't recommend it enough.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!