Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bilingual tip: Interesting books to share in any language

There is so much worth in a wordless book!  I came to find wordless books during my Children Literature Class in college (I had the opportunity to take many fun classes: young adult novels, fairy tale and folklore, fiction, ..etc as part of my area of concentration).  I was assigned the task to find wordless book and I really thought they were a waste of money (who would buy books without words?  get pictures instead right?).  Then I found -and fell in love with- Carl!  a rottweiler who is very protective of his own owner: a little baby girl.  I love the books because of the beautiful paintings in every page.  Without a story to follow, the pictures had to do the job!  The best part, I was able to adjust the story to the language I needed to use. Note: there is about three lines in the entire Carl book and since it is at the begging and end they don't bother me.
I kept on looking for more wordless books and came up with this list. These are by no means all of them.  Please share if you know others.
Product DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct DetailsProduct Details

Some of these books come with sequels like the Carl's Jack's and Daisy's series.   Others are all from the same author, like Barbara Lehman or David Weisner.

These are books worth a phone call and a trip to the library.  Some are better if you buy them because they are great for other areas, but you need to be the judge of that.  I try them a the library when I can and then buy when I find them necessary. Also let me tell you, if you don't already know, that just because it is a picture book, it does not mean it is a good book for little ones.  I found some of Weisner's and Lehman's books to be not a good fit for my personal taste as they are confusing, and with ideas that can actually scare my three year old!  So be cautious!

Update:
I found this gem of a wordless book at our local library: Flood by Alvaro F. Villa.  It has beautiful images and a story that will touch your heart. 

Update 3/5/13
Journey and Quest by Aaron Becker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!